Friday, May 3, 2013

Brody´s Ghost video - part II

Here are the links for the other posts in this Brody´s Ghost video series:


Second part of my new video is going to be zooming out from the ghost Kagemura and then him rasing left hand, snapping fingers and putting his hand down again. I´ve decided not to get distracted by things like whether a ghost can snap his fingers, lets just assume he can.

The zooming part was quite a hard one. The problem is this. As you can see in the "part I" blog post on the pictures, I was drawing the character big (close to us). Which means I don´t have him drawn full, just the part above waist. Which means I can´t simply take this picture and make it smaller and smaller (rendering the frames on computer). I need a new drawing of Kagemura. The start and final picture of this zoom scene is on the picture below.


There are two ways of doing this. I can either draw the full character (as on the "end picture") in the size of the "start picture" and then make it smaller and smaller until he gets to the size of the "end picture". This is the good way, drawing something big and then showing it small can´t hurt.

Second way is, to use the "end picture", zoom in to make it look like the "start picture" and then render the frames while it´s getting to its original size. This is the bad way, because if you have a picture and zoom in, it looks terrible.

But I have decided for the second (worse) way in the end. The reason is, that the first would be much more complicated. I draw all the frames on A4 papers horizontally and I know how to edit the frame after scanning it to make everything work together. But if I wanted to draw the ghost in the "start picture" size, I would have to make it on vertical A4 paper and that would bring a lot of confusion with scaling.

After some experiments, I´ve decided the zoom to take 2 seconds, which means I have rendered 48 frames in the computer for it.

The next part is the snapping fingers. In this part, only the left hand of Kagemura will be moving. And because I am lazy, I´ve decided to draw only the hand and add the body later to every frame. I have drawn 24 frames of the hand, which could seem like a 1 second of video, but it´s a slow movement, so I´ll play most of the frames twice and some will be shown even longer (for example the frame just before the fingers snap and the one just after). The video below shows what I mean (it´s not a final version, the timing there still looks a little weird to me). 




No comments:

Post a Comment