Thursday, April 4, 2013

Backgrounds Again

In my last post, I was writing about the buildings in the background. The idea here is, that there is blank space between the buildings. And obviously, there needs to be something like a distant background to fill the gap.

The first idea I had was quite obvious. There should be the rest of the city in the distant background. Then I thought about it. It would be quite hard to paint, and it wouldn´t make much sense. It would create an impression that there are the buildings passing by, then there is some strange large gap and then there is a distant rest of the city.

The second idea I had was a forest. It doesn´t make much sense either, but maybe it could have been some kind of park in the city. And there would be a contrast city vs. forest, which I liked. And I painted the forest background.


I´ve never painted a forest before, so I just followed the instructions from a video by Mark Crilley. My forest doesn´t look perfect on this picture, but it would definitely be enough for a background in a short video. The problem is, it doesn´t look good when used as a background for the animation I have, so I won´t use this one.

The last idea was to make it just open sky. It´s not original, exciting, shocking or funny, just a sky. So I painted a sky. I´ve tried it with the animation I have so far (the buildings with the bird) and it looks ok, so I guess I´ll use this.


And, surprisingly, I think it looks better as a picture alone than the forest did. And it took about half the time of painting the forest. I guess sometimes it takes time to get what you want. And I think that´s enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment